If you eat sugar, this blog is for you.

We don't think a lot about sugar. Its free at shops, hotels, and restaurants. Its in almost everything we eat, and it's a luxury. Even if we are poor, we can still buy a sweet sometimes. For us, over a million tonnes of sugar is brought into Canada each year, and that doesn't count corn-based sugars. Who grows this sugar? Do they like their job? We get coffee breaks, get paid 'fairly', and still have a job after recovering from an illness. I want the millions of people who work in sugar production to have these things too, and I can help with that. So I've decided to get a tattoo, give up sugar, and blog about it.

Monday, November 23, 2009

T-Minus 14 Days

This morning I walked into work, checked my schedule, and chatted with my boss about my recent trip home (Thunder Bay), and tattoo artist advice. While there I ate a samosa with mango chutney (something I'm going to have to give up) and a nanaimo bar (something I'm going to have to make myself if I want to eat one). Decided its time to get on that sugar-tattoo thing I've kept talking about amongst my friends for the last few months.

I chose a date: December 7th, 2009. I made my tattoo appointment with a charming fellow named Andrew. I originally went to check out another artist, but we got to talking, i found out that he had never tried Yoga before. I had never gotten a tattoo before. We decided to make it a productive week of it. Hes going to try yoga sometime before our appointment, and I'm going to get my tattoo done by him. Its going to be black cursive written on my back and say "No Blood for Sugar". Its a pretty big life decision I'd say, but I've been meaning to make this change in my diet for a long time.

After making the appointment I realized that I am actually going to go through with this. Then I spent a bunch of time creating and writing the first entry of this blog. I tried eating a sugar-free lunch (though I don't officially give up sugar until December 7th). I had an organic banana, a slice of whole wheat bread with some quebecois chevre, organic baby romaine, and local-organic green onion. Not bad.

Upon thinking about this menu description, I'm no longer going to talk about whether the rest of my food is organic or not. Its too much work, and the focus if this blog is sugar. Need to be concise now.

No comments:

Post a Comment