If you eat sugar, this blog is for you.

We don't think a lot about sugar. Its free at shops, hotels, and restaurants. Its in almost everything we eat, and it's a luxury. Even if we are poor, we can still buy a sweet sometimes. For us, over a million tonnes of sugar is brought into Canada each year, and that doesn't count corn-based sugars. Who grows this sugar? Do they like their job? We get coffee breaks, get paid 'fairly', and still have a job after recovering from an illness. I want the millions of people who work in sugar production to have these things too, and I can help with that. So I've decided to get a tattoo, give up sugar, and blog about it.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

T-Minus 13 Days

Living in a central, heavily populated area of the country has a lot to contribute to my success in giving up all non-FTO sugar.

Though I have yet to look, I'm certain Fair Trade Organic sugar (FTO) is not available in Thunder Bay (home). Organic cane sugar is fairly common at health food stores, but FTO sugar is still rare enough to simply not be available in huge parts of the country. While living in Thunder Bay, I once ordered a 2kg bag of FTO sugar from a small company in British Columbia. The total cost for that bag was about $16. Yup. Eight bucks a kilogram. Bleached white sugar is usually $2/kg? Something like that anyway.
...
...(some time passes)
..
I just had a really hard time looking up the price of sugar online from a major grocer; just flyers and coupons and such.
I bet if we all had to pay $8/kg for sugar we'd eat a lot less sweets, no? I guess I'll see when the time comes. I guess thats the point!


I would like to add something. At this stage I've done very little serious reading on the Fair Trade movement and the sugar industry (if you would like to catch up with what I have seen, watch the documentaries I've posted to the left. They're pretty good intro to Fair Trade, and food issues in general). In this way I am a regular person. I like the idea of making the world a better place, was presented with an option to do so, and am enthusiastically pursuing that. There are all sorts of critics of the Fair Trade movement, that it shouldn't exist or that it is not fair enough! I am aware of these viewpoints and plan to explore all sides. You will learn at the same pace I do. I guess you could say: This blog is aimed at those who are curious about how it feels to change their buying/eating habits to cultivate the kind of world they want to see.
Thanks for being here. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment